G’day mates, English Marie here! Out of all the wonderful places in the world to travel to, have you thought about spending your honeymoon in the bliss of the Maldives? Made up of over 1,000 islands- 900 of which are uninhabited, it’s no wonder the perfect romantic getaway is a Maldives Honeymoon. Spend your honeymoon in luxury, have dinner on a private island enjoying the sunset, or watch coral reef & marine life swim beneath your feet in your suite! We’ve put together a list of tips must-do’s for your romantic getaway.
Quick and helpful facts about the Maldives:
- The native language is Dhivehi, however English is widely spoken.
- The currency is the Maldivian Rufiyaa, $1 USD equals roughly $15 MVR.
- Electrical outlets are standard European sockets, so you’ll want to get an adaptor!
- Average year-round temperature in the Maldives is 86 F!
- The Maldives has year-round sunshine, but the best time to go is December-April this is the driest time of year.
- If you’re visiting during the religious festival of Ramadan, remember-eating in public during daylight hours is not acceptable; however you can eat at any hour inside resorts.
Must-do’s on your honeymoon:
- The Maldives is a top whale and dolphin-watching destination. The One & Only resort will arrange for a dolphin-watching safari bringing you out on the water and up close to these majestic creatures!
- Take a night reef fishing trip and upon catching your supply of delectable fish, have the boat head over to one of several hundred uninhabited islands and enjoy a romantic dinner with fresh, barbecued fish under a canopy of stars.
- Komandoo Island Resort is on a small, intimate island and is perfect for honeymooners or anyone looking for relaxation. The standard quality of the food is second to none. Tip: choose a room on the sunrise side for the best views; or if you’re an avid snorkeler, the other side of the island is superb.
- More than 3,000 coral reefs and clear blue waters make the Maldives perfect for couples who want to experience a dive like no other. Island hop and experience many different locations out to sea, or find the best spots minutes from shore.
- Relax and unwind. Many of the resorts have amazing modern spas. If you’re partial to white sandy beaches and turquoise water, experience a sand massage that islanders swear by for soothing aches.
- If you happen to be history buffs, take a historical trek. The Maldives history goes back to the 12th- Century sultanate and is full of rich history. In the capital of Male, check out the National Museum that once housed a sultan, the minarets and tombs of the Old Friday Mosque and the Grand Friday Mosque & Mulee Aage- a gorgeous pre-World War I palace that now houses the president’s offices.
Are you ready for your romantic honeymoon? Check out some of our sample itineraries here. Or give us a call at 312-951-8517 and we’ll help you create your romantic Maldives honeymoon!